Hockey Frequently Asked Questions
1. How is using the IntelliGym™ different from playing video games
While video games were designed for fun, the IntelliGym was built as a workout tool for the mind. Would anyone compare a jungle gym to a nautilus machine, even though they both provide exercise?
The IntelliGym™ training program was designed from the bottom up – with the sole goal of improving hockey sense, and is based on solid scientific grounds. This SaaS (Software as a Service) product cognitively simulates the game in real time at your home computer, but there is no storyboard and no fantasy graphics; the goal is to integrate the details of the game into a player's barest attention, until anticipating plays becomes deeply instinctive for him. Most importantly, the program is individually tailored to each player's strengths and weaknesses, tracking progress and adapting to his new level of play as he develops his hockey mind.
2. How long does it usually take to see results
The IntelliGym™ program has shown great results on the ice after about 10-15 thirty-minute training sessions (2 sessions a week, for about 5-8 weeks.)
3. Are there additional benefits to using the IntelliGym™
Many of the skills developed by the training program do indeed have a bearing on other sports fields as well as otehr aspects of life such as studying or driving. Many parents reported improvement in their children’s school performance, as well. However, these results have not been scientifically measured yet, so we don’t advertise these benefits.
1. How long is a training session?
Around 30 minutes.
2. How long is the entire program?
The IntelliGym™ is part of a player’s ongoing training regimen, just like weight training. As long as an athlete works with it, his sharpness will be maintained and further improved.
3. How often should a player train with the IntelliGym™?
Two-to-three times a week throughout the off-season (shortens adjustment time when you get back on the ice next season!) and one-to-two times a week during the hockey season.
1. Is the Hockey IntelliGym™ limited to a particular level of player?
No. The tool has been proven to improve performance at all levels - a trainee who has his fundamentals in place will benefit, as will athletes at the professional level.
2. Is the Hockey IntelliGym specific to forwards only?
3. Is it aimed at certain age groups? Gender?
The IntelliGym™ is effective for competitive athletes, males and females from the age of 10 and up.
4. Is the training program geared towards teams or individuals?
Both. If the Hockey IntelliGym is purchased for an entire team, the coaches have access to every individual’s attendance and progress reports.
5. Is the training program designed for right-handed as well as left-handed players?
Yes. It should be noted that the hand played on the ice is not necessarily the one used to write or to be dominant in brain workout. It is important that the trainee would feel comfortable handling the controls of the training environment. The program allows right-hand mode (default) as well as a lefty mode.
The keyboard setting for both hands can be found here.
1. Does The Hockey IntelliGym™ run on any computer?
A large variety of personal computers with a standard operating systems (Windows, Mac) will work fine. Here are the system requirements for running the program:
- Intel® Pentium® III processor (Pentium 4 recommended)
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, Professional, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2 or 3, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (including 64-bit editions) with Service Pack 1, or Windows 7, 8 and 10
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Graphic Card (GPU), with 128MB memory (256MB recommended)
- Note: Windows 2000 is not supported.
- Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- Mac OS X v10.6 or higher
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Note: Mac PowerPC is not supported.
Other Requirements (for all computer types)
- Internet Connection
- Monitor of 14' or bigger, supporting screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or higher.
2. Can it be installed and run on more than one computer?
Yes. Since the account details are kept on the IntelliGym server, the user can sign in from any computer with his user name and password. The number of installations in unlimited.
To install to program, use the Hockey IntelliGym™ Installation Page.
3. Can the IntelliGym™ be run on a PSP? Wii? Mobile devices?
No. The Hockey IntelliGym™ is not a game, but a software-based training program optimized to specific platforms. Training special capacities requires a personal computer environment.
4. Does it require an internet connection?
Yes. The system continuously updates the server and the server updates the application to optimize/personalize the tool for the trainee, and help players (and their coaches) track their progress.
Packages and Pricing
1. Is the IntelliGym™ available to the public?
Yes. The Hockey IntelliGym™ was in exclusive use by the USA National Teams for two years, and is available to all hockey players (individuals and teams) as of October 1, 2010.
2. How is the software sold?
Online, via the online store (www.usahockeyintelligym.com/shop). The account is created and access details are sent to the customer, much like any other online membership. The customer then downloads and runs the application, which, upon first use will ask some questions to optimize adaptation.
3. Why is the IntelliGym™ pricing based on a monthly subscription?
The Hockey IntelliGym™ serves as an ongoing training program, just like weight lifting or a personal trainer. The IntelliGym servers track each trainee as he trains, adopt the training program to his optimal needs, and log all the activities for future sessions. Serious athletes add it as a standard element in their training regimen and gain ongoing benefits. The more committed ones, those who train all year round, work out with the IntelliGym on an annual basis, while others, who choose to rest or do other sports during the off season, tend to go with the monthly program.
4. Are there group packages available for teams?
5. How many players can use one account?
Each account is for one player. The server tracks his special needs, and his progress, adopting the training program to him personally. The account is protected using a username and password.
1. Error message: "You are Offline"
Please follow these steps:
(a) Verify you are online (e.g. by reading this text...)
(b) Open your firewall manager. If it has a black list - make sure the Hockey IntelliGym is not in that list. If it has a white list - make sure the Hockey IntelliGym is part of it
2. An update message is shown, but when the "Update" button is pressed nothing happens