Players: Time to Shift Your Attention
Not every player comes into the game with the natural radar of a Gretzky. And by all accounts, this ice intuition – hockey sense – is every bit as important to the game as speed, strength, and dexterity are.
The good news for advancing players is that this intuition can be acquired. Let it be clear: the brain is where the game is really played, and brains can be trained, just like muscles can. Daily repetitions of a motion – like power skating - make it natural, fluid. The same is true for mental endurance, flexibility, and for thinking on the fly, ahead of the puck, and ahead of the guy seeking to clip you from behind. Mental excellence is quantifiable, and it is changeable.
ACE, in collaboration with USA Hockey, is offering players the key to the arena: The Hockey IntelliGym®.
The Hockey IntelliGym® was developed in close relations with the NTDP (National Teams Development Program), with emphasis and hockey expertise provided by the US National coaching staff, adapted from an earlier product developed by cognitive psychologists, computer engineers, and game theorists to develop precise instincts in military fighter pilots.
Put Your Brain on Ice
The Hockey IntelliGym® program is a software product, automatically customized to each and every player's strengths and weakness, and is uniquely based on positive reinforcement. It adapts to a player's learning curve and particular needs as he develops new lines to competitive success in his neural pathways. It is like having a personal, clairvoyant coach calling the shots inside your head.
Best of all, you are developing the essential hockey sense "muscle" at your home computer while resting your rotator cuffs and hip flexors… No protective gear is needed for this segment of training. Make no mistake, though. You will sweat.
The Hockey IntelliGym® is recommended for competitive players of all ages - professionals, collegiate players, and all the way down to 10 years old. It is effective for all skating positions, as well as for goalies.
The Hockey IntelliGym: Tech Specs
- The application is a downloadable program. Each user has a personal user name and a password
- Runs on any personal computer with Internet connection
- Runs on all common operating systems (Windows, Mac)
- Training session duration: up to 30 minutes
- Recommended regimen: two training sessions per week, with at least 48 hours of rest between them
- Training data is sent online to the IntelliGym servers, which then personalize the training program to each individual based on his strengths, weaknesses, and progress
- Coaches / parents receive attendance and progress reports
- Results on the ice are seen after 10-15 training sessions on average
Danton Cole, U18 National Team Coach
The NTDP adopted the IntelliGym in the fall of 2009. In January 2010, the U17 team won the World U17 Hockey Challenge, beating teams from Canada, Russia, Sweden and the Czech Republic. That same year, the U18 team increased their win ratio from 29% to 70% after only ten IntelliGym™ training sessions, eventually winning the IIHF World U18 Championship – skating all the way to a gold medal.